Free Dog Bed and Pallet Bed for your Pet
When sewing a pillow for your pet there are a few things to remember before you start. First, select a sturdy, washable fabric that will be comfortable for your pet. A washable acrylic or fur fleece fabric will work well or any type of fabric you feel would be suited for your pet. As far as stuffing goes you can use polyester stuffing
just make sure anything you stuff your pillow with is non-toxic and safe for your pet in case they decide to chew on it.
This post contains affiliate links
Another thing to make sure of when sewing a pet pillow is the size. Be sure not to make it to large or to small and measure the area that you decide to place the pillow in also to reassure that it will fit. Your pet may enjoy an overstuffed pillow or one with less fluff so be sure you know what they like before you start your project.
Pallet Dog Bed SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wood crate
- Wood mini pallet
- Home Decor Chalk – Vintage Victorian
- Home Decor Chalk – Sheepskin
- Home Decor Wax- clear
- Gold metallic marker pen
- Sharpie® marker, fine tip
- Piece of wood 1/4″ thick for under pillow
- Crown & lettering template
- Copy paper & printer
- 2″ paint brush
- 9″x12″ pillow form
- Faux fur or fabric to cover pillow
- Heavy-duty glue
- Optional: L-brackets
Suitable for small dogs only.
1. Select a small sheet of wood to be placed on top of the second slat on the crate for the dog pillow to sit on. This wood will be painted and covered by the pillow, so top grade lumber is not required.
2. Measure the opening between the slats to get the right thickness of wood.
3. With a pencil and mark a line on the wood for the width and length of the crate.
4. Cut the wood to above measurements.
5. Remove the slat second from the bottom on one side of the crate.
6. Paint the entire crate, sheet of wood and mini pallet, with Sheepskin. Allow to dry.
7. Paint the entire crate, sheet of wood and mini pallet with Vintage Victorian. Allow to dry.
8. Slide the sheet of wood in place on top of the second slat and glue it in place. Reinforce as needed.
9. Sand the edges of the crate and mini pallet for distressed look.
10. Wax with clear wax.
11. To print the patterns, click on the “Download Project PDF” button (above).
12. Using a dark pencil, rub on the back of the paper template.
13. Tape the crown in the center on the top slat- trace over the crown.
14. Tape down the lettering “Welcome to My Throne” on the slat below, centering it. Use a pencil and trace over the “Welcome to My Throne”.
15. Remove crown and lettering templates.
16. Using the transfers as a guide, fill in with the gold metallic maker.
17. Use the black Sharpie marker and highlight the shadow side of the crown and lettering. Refer to photo.
18. Once crate and pallet are dry, apply Home Decor Wax.
19. Create pillow using faux fur or desired fabric.
You can make a pillow in a variety of sizes including round, square, rectangle, or even the shape of of item such as bone or animal. Check out some of the patterns and suggestions below before you start on your sewing venture for dog or cat.
Pet Bed Insert for Stuffing your Round Pet Sewing Project –
Airtex pet bed inserts are perfect for your DIY pet bed creations. You can personalize your decorative fabric and make a comfortable resting place for your pet. The non-woven fabric cover is filled with 100% Polyester fiber for long lasting resilience and comfort.