Sewing a dog bed is a fun and easy project that can be completed with a few simple steps. Here is a basic guide to sewing a dog bed:
Materials you will need:
- Fabric (amount depends on the size of the dog bed)
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Measure the dimensions of the bed you want to make, and add a few extra inches to account for seam allowances.
- Cut two rectangular pieces of fabric according to your measurements.
- Place the two pieces of fabric together, right sides facing each other. Pin the edges together.
- Sew around the edges of the fabric, leaving a small gap (about 4-6 inches) unsewn.
- Turn the fabric right side out through the gap you left open.
- Stuff the bed with filling of your choice. You can use foam, polyester filling, or even old clothes or towels.
- Once the bed is stuffed to your desired level of fullness, hand-sew the gap closed.
- You can add any finishing touches you like, such as piping or a decorative trim.
Congratulations! You have now made a cozy and comfortable dog bed that your furry friend will love.
A great fabric to use for a dog bed or a pillow bed for a dog is fleece. Dogs love it because it is soft and warm. Fleece can be washed over and over again for a dogs comfort. When washing fabric for pets be sure to use a natural detergent or baking soda and white vinegar (as fabric softener) to keep them from inhaling perfumes or toxins as they rest.
Select a fabric for your dog bed or pillow. One of our favorites is this paw print fabric because of the washability and durability of the fleece. Use a standard inexpensive bed pillow and some polyfil to make the bed as large or small as you want. You can also use batting and stuffing for the bed and scrap fabric or even fabric shower curtains. Measure and cut the fabric to fit the pillow and sew up the ends, making the corners square by folding them up at the ends.
- Download the Free Crochet Rudolph Amigurumi Pattern
- October Crochet Afghan Patterns and How to Make one in Pretty Yarn colors for Fall
- Free Halloween Pumpkin Cross Stitch Pattern Download
- Crochet a Halloween Afghan with Bats, Cats and Ghosts Download
- Four Keeps Knitting Pattern How to Make 4 Hats with 4 Colors of Yarn